Based in Brno, Czech Republic
October 4, 2022
Press / Business contact:
Medieval Europe is in the middle of religious upheaval and many a preacher predict the imminent end of the world. Immerse yourself in a dark fantasy story with true historical events in the background. You'll be facing intricate puzzles, challenging battles and cunning stealth. You will come across possessed devil worshipers, sexual demons, and beasts from hell, as well as creatures well-known from European mythology.
The entire game was strongly inspired by Andrzej Sapkowski's Hussite trilogy and the events in the game even partially take place in the same time period and place - during the spring campaign of 1428. Just like the famous author, I'm trying to tell real history and combine it with a fictitious story with fantasy elements. It started as a one-man hobby project in the summer of 2019. After a successful announcement and a local crowdfunding campaign where almost $25k were raised, I started working on the game full time.
Main plot: Europe is in the middle of religious upheaval and many preachers predict that the end of the world is near. The year is 1428 and the Hussites have just set out on their Silesian campaign. These heretics appear to be the biggest threat in the kingless country. But true evil of a completely different kind is lurking nearby and it does not intend to engage in religious disputes.
The game is linear and takes place during the entire Hussite campaign. It will be divided into thirteen chapters, with which you will be able to spend about 30 hours of playtime. You will experience everything from the point of view of the two main characters. Hynek, a grumpy Hussite hetman who doesn't hesitate to swear or mess around with anything, and Lothar, a Hospitaller knight, a man of good education and manners who stands alongside his brethren in the front line of the Silesian defense. Each has their own motivations and views of the world around them, and different equipment and abilities. Their fates will soon become intertwined. Will they face one another, weapon in hand, or forge a fragile alliance to stand shoulder to shoulder against a far worse enemy?
- Isometric graphics - The graphics are inspired by classic RPG games. They are isometric, stylized, and a bit fairytale-like. The action often takes place underground, in the rain, or at night, which serves to amplify the dark atmosphere and focus, which is mostly placed on the contrast of light and shadow.
- English and Czech voiceovers - All dialogues will be fully dubbed in both English and Czech.
- Challenging puzzles - The original puzzles you will come across on your dangerous journey will most definitely be tough. Classic adventure games of the 1990s were a big inspiration. You will have to take advantage of your surroundings, look for objects, obtain information, and solve puzzles or encoded messages. Some problems can be solved in multiple ways, or they can be cleverly worked around.
- Sneaking in the shadows - Sometimes you'll have to blend into the shadows and sneak past enemies to avoid being detected. Following their patrol routes and habits will help you find the best path.
- Tough combat - The combat system is easy to understand but it takes practice to fully master it. Remember one thing: being outnumbered is a problem! If three or more opponents attack you at the same time, you will die! The key is to take advantage of their mistakes, wait for the right moment, and then attack. You will face not just knights, villagers, and robbers, but also various supernatural beings who are not to be underestimated.
- Diverse environments - In the game, you will move around on foot as well as on horseback. You will visit various real as well as fictitious places in medieval Silesia. You will plunder villages, doggedly defend the city walls, and explore places such as secret dungeons, abandoned mines, or forbidden parts of monasteries. The action often takes place underground, in the rain, or at night, which serves to amplify the dark atmosphere and focus, which is mostly placed on the contrast of light and shadow.
- Hidden coins - You will have the opportunity to search for two kinds of hidden coins. Only the best of the best will be able to collect them all. Not only will you fill your wallet with them and unlock unique achievements, but you can also occasionally use them to progress through the story.
The game will be fully accessible to blind players. This will make it the first game ever on PC to bring full blind support to an adventure of this scale. We´re not talking about just some of the in-game text being read or about some kind of rudimentary navigation. The game will bring all-new revolutionary elements that will allow the blind to enjoy a full experience not only of the story, dialogue and exploring the environment, but also stealth or combat, including large scale battles! More information on accessibility at blind.shadows1428.com.
This year's Game Access 2022 conference in Brno, Czech Republic not only brought a lot of interesting presentations from leading European developers, but also featured sixty upcoming games in the Indie Showcase. At the end of the event, the Game Access Indie Awards took place. Attendees chose the best of all presented in three categories - Best Gameplay, Best Art and Best Game overall. I'm happy to announce that 1428: Shadows over Silesia has received nominations in all three! In addition, there was one more unexpected surprise. It also received a nomination for Best Game of the Show from the Czech gaming website VisionGame.cz.
Release Trailer (2022) YouTube
There are far more images available for 1428: Shadows over Silesia, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Keyart
- "1428: Shadows over Silesia is like the first Witcher: great storyline, atmosphere and music."
- Smuggler, CDAction.pl
- "Engaging story, a great atmosphere or memorable protagonists."
- Zdeněk Princ, Vortex
- "You shouldn't miss this dark adventure."
- Jan Kouba, iDNES
- "A brilliantly written adventure with two heroes you're sure to love."
- Vivaldi, Somhrac.sk
- "If you are a fan of history, a fan of puzzles and above all a fan of a good game. This will undoubtedly be the next title you must add to your gaming library."
- Zaher Albalbisiby, ComuESP
- "Despite some design flaws and inconsistent visuals, it still excels with its story, original setting and excellent dubbing."
- Jakub Malchárek, Games.cz
- "1428: Shadows over Silesia turns out to be a very interesting independent game reviving the adventures of the 1990s and offering a unique and pleasing art direction."
- Aymdef, HistoriaGames
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Petr Kubíček, Michaela Kubíčková
Synty Studios, Polytope Studio, Kodiak Graphics, InkPhantom Studio, İsmail Burak Çendik, and others
Malbers Animations, Mixamo, Rokoko, and others
Nicolas Jeudy aka Dark Fantasy Studio, Matyáš Vonz, Jan Valta
Gamemaster Audio, Epic Stock Media, and others
Christopher Adamson, Gabriel Andrews, James Beaumont, Martin Bongard, Roxy Clark, Benjamin Gray, Samuel Drake, Peter Hosking, Steven Kelly, JC Marie, Charlie McGuire, Cherry McIntosh, Noris Merk, James Moors, Phillip Sacramento, Replica Studios
Fénix ProDabing, Zdeněk Kabelka, Jakub "Myzlivko" Myslivec, Oldřich "ArcadeBulls" Štěrba, Richard Wágner, Filip Ženíšek
Marek Janosik-Bielski, Peter Darila, Daniel Dubský, David Herrmann, Bořivoj Klíma, Lukáš Kotrc, Milan Křápek, Matouš Lukeš, Radek Orlovský, Marek Pospíšil, Chris Shaw, David Skočík, David Štípský
Dita Ryg, Lukáš Hosnedl, Michaela Blažková, Oscar "DonHart" Gómez
Blind Accessibility Advisor